Thursday, September 4, 2008

More Tests... Still Waiting

Warning: This is a slightly gloomy post. I'm obviously stressed out. But the end link will make you laugh out loud!!

I swear... if it's one of those things that "doesn't happen to very many people" then it's certainly going to happen to me!!

Went to the doctor yesterday, and I honestly do not know what to think. My blood pressure was even higher, and it was both numbers this time. I've started having headaches recently, which is apparently more than just something that comes with pregnancy. My swelling was abnormal, though I just thought that's how swelling was... and I have protein in my urine (I know... you all really wanted to know that.) Anyway, they did some blood tests and I had to do a 24 hour Urine Collection (That was fun, let me tell ya...). The tests on my blood were fairly simple ones (I think...) and they came back saying that everything was fine. The more important tests are the ones they'll do with the urine collection, but I won't find those results out until tomorrow... or so they tell me. They're worried about Preeclampsia, which can lead to Toxemia. Most people with Preeclampsia show no signs of being sick, but as it moves into Toxemia then the sickness sets in. Headaches, nausea, lightheadedness, swelling, shortness of breath, the works. Not so fun thing is, aside from the swelling, all those things started setting in in the past week or so. Fairly quickly in my opinion, but I just thought that's how pregnancy was.

The appointment was really strange. My doctor had to step out to deliver a baby, so we spoke with the nurse about all of this stuff I'd been having and then left for about a 1/2 hour and came back for the rest of my appointment. When we came back, the doctor seemed a lot less concerned than my nurse had been, but then we noticed that she was seemingly evading our questions. Almost like she was hiding something. I mean, I know that she probably doesn't want to worry us before there's need to worry, but still. And then when I went to do the tests, my nurse was suddenly beating around the bush as well. It was really frustrating. After talking to Rachel (Peter's sister) who is a nurse, and my aunt who is a mid-wife and nurse, I feel a little better. They were able to better explain what's probably going on and how important as well as what these tests are. That was nice... but I'm still nervous.

Best case scenario: I'm totally fine and it's a fluke. Next best case scenario: bed rest. Not quite worst case scenario: hospitalized bed rest until I'm full term, then they take her. Worst case scenario: they take the baby even before I'm full term.

I have a feeling it'll just be bed rest, but that's still no fun. So I'm going shopping today, just in case they call me tomorrow and tell me I have to stay in bed for the next however long. If they call me and tell me that everything's fine, I'm gonna be distressed and upset. Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't want there to be anything wrong... but I hate having symptoms for something, and then not having it. I seem to have a habit for it, actually... except that they find out later that they were wrong and I really did have it... Gahhhhh!!!

In other news, this is absolutely hilarious and you definitely need to read it!!
America's 10 Most Confusing Traffic Signs

1 comments:

Alicia W. said...

Thanks for letting us all in on what's going on. When is your due date again? October? Hang in there, you really don't have much longer to go. Just try to relax and not worry too much. Getting stressed out will just make you more...um...stressed. I know. This is oh, so helpful!