Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day

This last weekend was Father's Day... and a very interesting one at that. It was Peter's last Father's Day not being a father. Sortof a backwards way to think about it, but still true. Hopefully I'll be more creative in the future when it comes to what to get him. I seem to have created a tradition of giving Peter a t-shirt for every holiday with some sort of graphic on it that has something to do with him. That's usually fine, but has started to feel a little boring. So this year he got what we call "The Bean Game" (Bohnanza) along with his t-shirt that says "Best Director of a Family Comedy" on one of those black plate things they use when they say "Take 1" etc., I can't remember what they're called.


After visiting my family for the holiday, eating all their food and taking lots of pictures with my brother in his graduation garb, we gathered with Peter's brothers and their spouses to make their Father's Day gift for their dad. They're all really creative and funny people - I honestly wish I could come up with ideas 1/4th as good as theirs for holidays... I'm really terrible with gift ideas.
Anyway, this year they made a game for their dad called "Rayruptcy." They used the board and pieces for "The Game of Life," but redid the entire gameboard and some of the game cards. It turned out a lot better than I expected (hooray for graphic design artists!) and it was nice because I felt like I was of some use in the whole process. I didn't come up with any of the ideas or sayings or anything, but I can be pretty good with a glue stick!



The Box and a closer view of the logo off the Instructions


The Gameboard. You can't really see any of the spaces, but all the "Pay Days" were made into "Ray Days", and all of the other spaces have sayings on them that have something to do with their dad.
And then they pasted their own careers onto the game's career cards... along with a picture of their dad. Haha.
Pretty clever. And it was a good laugh when their dad read through everything. Like I said, it turned out a lot better than I thought it would. And all of that on top of lots of good food and good company made to be a pretty nice Father's Day.

0 comments: