This past week was pretty nuts. Peter finished school and I had my audition.
Peter had his final presentation on Thursday. He got several offers, which is great! We're waiting right now to see if any of them pan out. But he's officially a college graduate! He couldn't be happier, and neither could I! I'm so proud of him.

Piper and daddy at his final presentation. She hadn't seen him in about two weeks... needless to say she was pretty clingy.

And then when I tried to get in the picture, she kept trying to push me away... this is the best one we could get of the three of us. Haha!
He doesn't actually walk until sometime in June - but he's done!!
As for me, my audition was on Saturday. My mom came with me as Peter was finishing up School the day before we had to leave... so we figured that was best.
Oklahoma is... flat. And windy. When they say, "Oklahoma, where the wind goes rushing down the plains" then certainly mean it. It's not just some words for a rhyme.
Anyway, we flew out early Friday morning and arrived in the evening. We were able to drive around and find everywhere we needed to be for the next day. Ate at the Cracker Barrel (delicious!) and then got some sleep. The next morning, we got up, and headed out to the audition. Nerve wracking! After filling out a bunch of paperwork and getting my number, etc. We all gathered into one of the studios and watched the current performance company perform. One word. AMAZING! They were seriously incredible. And what makes it better? Everything was CLEAN! Clean music, clean choreography, clean, nice costumes... I was beyond pleased. Throughout the day, the school just got better and better. They're even a tobacco free campus! Anyway, after watching the company perform, the Dean and the founder of the dance school spoke with us. She's pretty funny. Seriously, this like, little 70+ year old woman in tights, a leotard, boots, and a thick headband. She had quite the personality! Very fun, though. After that, they split us into all into three groups and sent us to our studios.
First came ballet warm up. I think our group got lucky, as the lady who gave us our warm up was also the one giving the ballet portion of the audition, so she taught us the ballet combinations ahead of time. So we had extra time to work on them... and with ballet being my strongest point there, I couldn't have been more pleased. After ballet warm up, had our jazz audition... which was actually probably the hardest one for me, oddly enough. The instructor threw like, four eights of choreography at us and then would say, "okay, go!" And by the time I got the choreography she'd already taught down, she's start adding more! It was a little nuts, and the number I was give put me at the left end of my line, so I had a slightly harder time seeing what she was doing. So I don't know - I think I did alright in jazz. I definitely didn't feel like I was able to "perform" the choreography as well as I know I could have, but oh well.
Ballet came next - piece of cake. And since we'd already learned the combinations ahead of time, we got through it all quickly and had extra time, so they had us do more ballet... and my strong points. I was so happy! So ballet was totally fine.
Next came tap. Ohhhh tap. Haha! Now, they knew that some of us would come with little or no tap experience... I'm one of those people. I've had limited tap experience. I know the basics and can fake it pretty decently, but I never learned the proper names of the steps, so when she said, "Cincinatti, Irish, blah blah blah" I had no idea what was going on. After I watched them a few times I was able to fake it well enough that I think I did okay. For those of us that weren't super tappers, she said that that they're mainly looking for musicality and to see if we were teachable. So I put a big grin on my face and pretended like I knew what I was doing. I felt like such an idiot, but it was sorta fun. Because I was sure I looked silly... but I "performed"... and that was something they were looking for. So even though I know I didn't get all the steps right, I'm not too worried about it. I did get some of the steps right, and showed that I had musicality and that I could perform Some of the other girls had worried looks on their faces and basically just jogged in place... and I'm happy I wasn't one of them.
Then came solos. It all went so fast that I'm not even really sure how mine went. I know I didn't have any major mess ups, and that I smiled a lot, which was important. So I just hope I was sharp enough where I needed to be, etc. *fingers crossed*
And last... measurements. Dun dun dun!! I was very proud of myself, though. I only weighed 3.6 pounds more than the weight bracket they would place me in... which was great. I was shocked at how many people there were "overweight." So that will definitely play in my favor. And it's exciting to know that they thing that I've been working SO hard at could be something that really helps me get in. I mean, of course I have to be a good dancer, but they're really strict about weight. And they're going to have a much easier time telling me that I need to lose 3.6 pounds as opposed to telling someone else that they need to lose 20.
They'll only take 75 out of the 200+ auditioners. So here goes nothin'!
I'll hear within the next two weeks as to whether or not I got in. I'm pretty proud of how I did... so if I didn't get in, then I know it wasn't meant to be!
After the audition we went out for dessert!!! Mmmm!
While we were there we also went to the city and saw the memorial of the '95 bombing, which was heartbreaking and cool all at the same time. We were also able to go see the temple! After an excursion and a surprise toll road, that is!
But that was pretty much it. And now... I wait!
One of the random murals in downtown.
Before the audition... number 64.

In front of the school of dance.
The memorial
The bomb went off at 9:02. So they have these two walls. One says 9:01, and the other says 9:03. The minute before and the minute after.
Just our luck, the reflecting pool between the two walls was under maintenance. So there's usually a reflecting pool where this granite is.
9:03
This tree was next to the building and survived the blast - so it was preserved.
One of the rescue workers wrote this on the building next door the day of the bombing. This building has been renovated, all except this one wall in order to preserve the message. This building is now the memorial museum.

The Oklahoma City Temple

And then a random picture of Piper. She's 18 months today. :) She's growing up so fast!
He doesn't actually walk until sometime in June - but he's done!!
As for me, my audition was on Saturday. My mom came with me as Peter was finishing up School the day before we had to leave... so we figured that was best.
Oklahoma is... flat. And windy. When they say, "Oklahoma, where the wind goes rushing down the plains" then certainly mean it. It's not just some words for a rhyme.
Anyway, we flew out early Friday morning and arrived in the evening. We were able to drive around and find everywhere we needed to be for the next day. Ate at the Cracker Barrel (delicious!) and then got some sleep. The next morning, we got up, and headed out to the audition. Nerve wracking! After filling out a bunch of paperwork and getting my number, etc. We all gathered into one of the studios and watched the current performance company perform. One word. AMAZING! They were seriously incredible. And what makes it better? Everything was CLEAN! Clean music, clean choreography, clean, nice costumes... I was beyond pleased. Throughout the day, the school just got better and better. They're even a tobacco free campus! Anyway, after watching the company perform, the Dean and the founder of the dance school spoke with us. She's pretty funny. Seriously, this like, little 70+ year old woman in tights, a leotard, boots, and a thick headband. She had quite the personality! Very fun, though. After that, they split us into all into three groups and sent us to our studios.
First came ballet warm up. I think our group got lucky, as the lady who gave us our warm up was also the one giving the ballet portion of the audition, so she taught us the ballet combinations ahead of time. So we had extra time to work on them... and with ballet being my strongest point there, I couldn't have been more pleased. After ballet warm up, had our jazz audition... which was actually probably the hardest one for me, oddly enough. The instructor threw like, four eights of choreography at us and then would say, "okay, go!" And by the time I got the choreography she'd already taught down, she's start adding more! It was a little nuts, and the number I was give put me at the left end of my line, so I had a slightly harder time seeing what she was doing. So I don't know - I think I did alright in jazz. I definitely didn't feel like I was able to "perform" the choreography as well as I know I could have, but oh well.
Ballet came next - piece of cake. And since we'd already learned the combinations ahead of time, we got through it all quickly and had extra time, so they had us do more ballet... and my strong points. I was so happy! So ballet was totally fine.
Next came tap. Ohhhh tap. Haha! Now, they knew that some of us would come with little or no tap experience... I'm one of those people. I've had limited tap experience. I know the basics and can fake it pretty decently, but I never learned the proper names of the steps, so when she said, "Cincinatti, Irish, blah blah blah" I had no idea what was going on. After I watched them a few times I was able to fake it well enough that I think I did okay. For those of us that weren't super tappers, she said that that they're mainly looking for musicality and to see if we were teachable. So I put a big grin on my face and pretended like I knew what I was doing. I felt like such an idiot, but it was sorta fun. Because I was sure I looked silly... but I "performed"... and that was something they were looking for. So even though I know I didn't get all the steps right, I'm not too worried about it. I did get some of the steps right, and showed that I had musicality and that I could perform Some of the other girls had worried looks on their faces and basically just jogged in place... and I'm happy I wasn't one of them.
Then came solos. It all went so fast that I'm not even really sure how mine went. I know I didn't have any major mess ups, and that I smiled a lot, which was important. So I just hope I was sharp enough where I needed to be, etc. *fingers crossed*
And last... measurements. Dun dun dun!! I was very proud of myself, though. I only weighed 3.6 pounds more than the weight bracket they would place me in... which was great. I was shocked at how many people there were "overweight." So that will definitely play in my favor. And it's exciting to know that they thing that I've been working SO hard at could be something that really helps me get in. I mean, of course I have to be a good dancer, but they're really strict about weight. And they're going to have a much easier time telling me that I need to lose 3.6 pounds as opposed to telling someone else that they need to lose 20.
They'll only take 75 out of the 200+ auditioners. So here goes nothin'!
I'll hear within the next two weeks as to whether or not I got in. I'm pretty proud of how I did... so if I didn't get in, then I know it wasn't meant to be!
After the audition we went out for dessert!!! Mmmm!
While we were there we also went to the city and saw the memorial of the '95 bombing, which was heartbreaking and cool all at the same time. We were also able to go see the temple! After an excursion and a surprise toll road, that is!
But that was pretty much it. And now... I wait!
Before the audition... number 64.In front of the school of dance.
The Oklahoma City Temple

And then a random picture of Piper. She's 18 months today. :) She's growing up so fast!
1 comments:
I'm relly glad to hear that you feel like it went so well! Yay! And congrats to Peter! See ya tomorrow!
Post a Comment