Monday, September 28, 2009

Out of my box...

The lead in: My family is such a medical anomaly it's crazy. I'm going to need to tell my brothers' future wives to be careful. Make sure you really love 'em, because your kids will have the blood... and it could be dangerous. To single in on one particular case... my brother has had a bunch of eye problems since a young age. He was the only one of us that had to have glasses, but that's turned into surgeries and eye pressure problems and all sorts of things. It's been a pretty big deal over the past few years.

The point: When I had Piper, Dallen's eye doctor told my mom that they do free eye check ups for infants under a year, so we made an appointment for this past Friday and took her in. Apparently they don't have to do this very often, but my little love who isn't even a year old yet has to get glasses! As of right now it's more of a corrective thing and will hopefully be temporary. She's nearsighted in her left eye, so with glasses it should make that eye work harder and then they'll be at about the same level and she won't need the glasses anymore. The doctor said that with most kids, this problem isn't caught until sometime in elementary school causing the doctors/parents to have to be much more strict about constantly wearing the glasses, patching, etc. Her having glasses now should hopefully prevent her having to go through any of that, and the approach can be much more relaxed because, well, she is a baby and those things ain't gonna stay on for very long periods at a time... but we can work up to it.

I don't know why, but after the appointment while I was driving home I got really upset about the whole thing. I don't think I've ever seen a child her age with glasses. I mean, there's nothing wrong with glasses! Maybe it's just because it's a whole new world to me... and because my little baby isn't perfect, and because she's so little still. But oh well. We'll see how long "temporary" is - and I'm sure she'll still be just as adorable with her little glasses. :)

The Conclusion: We're going to pick some out today.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I can't begin to understand what you're feeling.... But you're not totally alone. One of my best friend's son has been wearing glasses since he was 14 months old. From what she's told be, his eye problems sound way more severe then Piper's though. I just wanted to share. Her son looks adorable in glassed too. :)

Jon and Bre said...

I can't wait to see pictures of her in them! I be she'll look adorable!