Friday, October 10, 2008

First Well Baby Check Up

We went today for Piper's first well baby check up!
 She weighs 8 lbs 3.5 oz. (a pound in a week!), she's 20 1/3 inches long (she shrunk due to her cone head going down) and her head is 14 1/4 inches around. For weight she's in the 50th percentile, for height she's in 60th percentile, and for her head she's in the 70th percentile.

She has a clogged tear duct, but I think that is going away. The doctor gave us a prescription for it if it gets worse, but hopefully we won't have to fill that.

And... remember how I mentioned the whole "Smith medical anomaly" thing? And how I really hope I don't pass it on to my kids? Well... I'm a little worried (not really... yet.) We'd noticed that Piper moves her right arm a ton, but only moves her left arm from the elbow down. She doesn't move her shoulder very much at all. So we talked to the doctor about it, and he had her have an x-ray, and guess what? Her left collar bone is broken! My poor baby! Luckily, it's not hurting her and it should heal fairly quickly. If it does start hurting her, then we're gonna have to make a pseudo sling for her, but hopefully it doesn't. They said if she doesn't start moving her shoulder within the next couple weeks then we have to go back in. I'm not sure what they'll do if that's the case.. but hopefully I won't have to find out.

5 comments:

Carla C. said...

Amy & John's Johnny also broke his collarbone during birth. It didn't take long to heal and it didn't seem to bother him too much. I think it's actually a fairly common occurrance.

Yay for her weight gain! She must be eating well!

Hugs to mom and Piper from Aunt Carla

Alicia W. said...

For her clogged tear duct, get yourself some off those cotton pads (you find them by the cotton balls). Get one wet with a little warm water and wipe the goop out of the corner of her eye. Then throw the cotton pad away. Just keep doing that whenever she has goopy eyes. Both my girls have had clogged tear ducts before and this works like a charm. You have to be consistent, but it really works.

Tara said...

Oh goodness! Not fun to hear when you go to the doctor! She will get over it quickly though!
And a pound in a week?! She must be eating well!
Congrats again!

Lindsay said...

Poor girl! That's sad Piper has a broken coller bone! Hope everything goes well! :)

Natalie said...

I understand that breaking a collarbonen during the birth process is fairly common. I am so glad it is healing up nicely. This is not the anomaly you may think it is. Good job picking out a magic doctor too! that's gravy!